Haitian civil protection officials released a statement last Monday, Oct. 18, that the continuous downpour of rain has caused the hillside landslides and made the streets in Haitian capital into rivers as the flood ravaged the area leaving at least 12 dead residents. The storm has also caused electricity outage while trucks were running boulevards like boats because of the flood. Recently the Haitian National Meteorology Center has already issued warnings on flashfloods all over Haiti’s southern part of the peninsula and extends up to the west part from Port-au-Prince.
It was reported that 8 residents died after water cascaded down a sand quarry located at the western part of the capital. It also victimized two children It sent volumes of waters to the homes below which were damaged by a quake. This was reported by Nadine Lochard, coordinator of the civil protection department including Port-au-Prince.
Lochard said that these quarries has been the problem of the government because it practically deforested the hillsides. Materials from these quarries are being used for a cheaper concrete building projects for homes in Port-au-Prince where increasing of people are living in slums. She said that those houses destroyed were made up of brittle and sand-based concrete using similar quarry materials found in the area.
It was also disclosed that concrete materials derived from hillside sand was declared illegal by the Haitian government after the houses numbering in thousands were destroyed by the earthquake last Jan. 12 this year. However, a lot of poor people are still using these materials because it is cheap and abundant in the area.
In a separate report elsewhere in the capital, two bodies of children were recovered while two others were confirmed dead when mudslide wrought havoc over a quake refugee camp in Carrefour which was a little far along the same western side of the ridge. The mudslides reportedly sent a lot of families repairing their temporary shelters. There were no reports yet received about the three missing persons.
Observers likewise said that this was the area where quake victims were temporarily shelters and it became a home of about 1.3 million people. It now turned out like a spongy mud and lakes. Residents likewise said that there had been unreported mudslides that occurred in the last few weeks.
It was also reported that the Haitian officials and aid groups present and are overseeing the post-quake reconstruction project have been on alert status since the Jan. 12 earthquake devastation. They were seen clearing canals and drainage ditches that are dug around on some of the same camp. However, more or less 25 deaths were noted that were caused by rains during the month of September in southern Haiti.
Short URL: http://www.reporterslive.com/?p=1996